Edward Muriu is the Team Leader and a Founding Partner of MMC Africa Law. He leads a strong partnership of 12 and a workforce of over 100 staff.
Through Edward’s leadership, the Firm has grown to a commercial law practice powerhouse in East Africa. Over the years, the Firm has been recognised and awarded by various legal directories including Chambers Global, IFLR1000, Legal500, IP Stars and Deal Makers in the different practice areas including mergers and acquisitions, projects, energy, banking and finance, dispute resolution, real estate, labour and employment, telecoms and intellectual property law. The Firm was also a finalist at the Africa Legal Awards in 8 categories in 2018.
Areas of Specialisation
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Capital Markets
- Corporate Governance
- Private Clients
Email: [email protected]
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Advising on the KES 574 million acquisition of business and assets of the former Kenya Co-operative Creameries (KCC) by the Government of Kenya and the subsequent transfer to New KCC.
- Advising the Privatization Commission on the privatization of the Government-owned Muhoroni Sugar Company.
- Advising the Privatization Commission on the privatization of the Government-owned Sony Sugar Company.
- Advising the Privatization Commission on the privatization of the Government-owned Nzoia Sugar Company.
- Advising the Privatization Commission on the privatization of the Government-owned Miwani Sugar Company.
- Advising the Privatization Commission on the privatization of the Government-owned Chemilil Sugar Company.
- Advising the Privatization Commission on the privatization and the sale of a 25% stake in East Africa Portland Cement Limited by the Government of Kenya.
- Advising Interconsumer Products Limited, a local manufacturer of personal care and beauty products, in its acquisition by L’Oreal.
- Advising Meridian Medical Limited, a local company that runs medical clinics, in four rounds of investment by TBL Mirror and Acumen Fund, a private equity firm.
- Advising Universal Corporation Limited, a local pharmaceutical manufacturer in two rounds of equity and debt fundraising from FINNFUND: the first, a USD 8 million investment structured as part ordinary equity and part preference shares; and the second, a € 10 million investment structures as part preference shares, part share purchase and part debt.
- Currently advising on the securitization of the assets of a power generating state corporation, which if successful, will be the first Asset Backed Security (ABS) transaction to be undertaken in Kenya.
- Advising Safaricom Limited in the sale of the 25% stake held by the Government of Kenya in the company to the public and the subsequent listing of Safaricom Limited on the then Nairobi Stock Exchange. This was one of the largest initial public offerings in Sub Saharan Africa.
- Advising Bralirwa Limited, Rwanda’s largest brewery company, in its initial public offer and subsequent listing on the Rwanda Stock Exchange, which was a first of a kind transaction in Rwanda.
- Advising Naivas Limited, one of the largest retailers in Kenya, on the comprehensive revision of its corporate governance structure in adherence to corporate, statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Provision of corporate governance advice to Creditinfo Credit Reference Bureau Kenya Limited, one of the three licensed credit reference bureaus in Kenya and solely owned by Creditinfo International, through preparation and comprehensive of a Corporate Governance framework for the Company designed to ensure ethical board leadership and strategic management and further, transparency and disclosure towards increasing stakeholder confidence.
- Advising Superior Homes Kenya PLC, estate development company on establishing a Corporate Governance framework by making reference to The Code of Governance for Private Organisations in Kenya and the Code of Corporate Governance for Issuers of Securities to the Public.
- Undertaking a Corporate Governance and Legal Audit on Kenya Shell Limited (now trading through Vivo Energy) which entailed a comprehensive review of the statutes and regulations impacting Kenya Shell, undertaking a financial, operational, legal review on Kenya Shell and preparing a compliance manual based on the findings.
- Advised Home Afrika Limited, a leading real estate company based in Kenya offering strategically located properties for sale on establishing a Corporate Governance framework.
- Undertaking Corporate Governance and Legal Audit and compilation of a compliance manual for Total Kenya Limited which involved reviewing the legal and regulatory framework on the oil industry and reviewing all contracts by Total Kenya Limited and advising on their compliance with all applicable laws.
- Provision of legal and company Corporate Governance advice to Omaera Pharmaceuticals Limited including but not limited to maintenance of required statutory registers, filing of returns and resolutions and other required documents, and provision of advice regarding compliance with applicable corporate, statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Providing Corporate Governance and Company Secretarial Services to Sanofi – Aventis Kenya Limited which included preparing and filing of annual returns, resolutions and other statutory documents at the Companies Registry, maintenance of records of minutes of general meetings and board meetings, relevant statutory books including Register of Members, Register of Directors and Secretaries, Register of Debentures among others, facilitating appropriate convening and holding of general meetings and meetings of the Board of Directors and reviewing the letters of resignation for the resigning directors and undertaking the requisite filings at the Companies Registry.
- Acting as legal counsel to Safaricom PLC in the provision of legal advisory services on the issue of money laundering and countering the financing of illegal activities using Safaricom’s digital finance platforms, M-Pesa and M-Shwari.
- Acted as the moderator in a panel discussion on Commercial Bank of Africa’s digital finance projects (M-Shwari) at the Africa Private Equity and Venture Capital Association.
Countries of Work Experience
- Governance Auditors Accreditation Course by the Institute of Certified Public Secretaries of Kenya, February 2019
- Certified Executive Leadership Coach, Coach Development Institute of Africa, Kenya, 2017
- Syndicated Loan Training, Euro money-London, April 2006
- African Real Estate Finance & Investment School, Cape Town, South Africa (2000)
- Certified Public Secretary (CPS)
- Diploma in Law, Kenya School of Law
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Nairobi