Mutegi has progressively earned experience in a diverse range of commercial transactions, leveraging specialised knowledge in competition law and capital markets law. He was recently involved in the provision of competition regulatory advice in the first airport concession in East and Central Africa, as well as the preliminary structuring of a prospective asset-backed securities issuance by a listed Kenyan energy company.
Areas of Specialisation
- Competition Law
- Capital Markets & Securities Law
- Intellectual Property Law
- Corporate & Commercial Law
- Legal and Regulatory Compliance
Email: [email protected]
- Provided legal advisory to an aviation client regarding various elements of competition regulation in Kenya’s first proposed airport concession, including regional merger approval, restrictive trade practices and exemption applications.
- Successfully assisted in defending a major retailer before the Competition Authority of Kenya in relation to alleged failure to notify the Authority of a merger.
- Assisted in the preparation of submissions to the Competition Authority of Kenya in support of a client’s claim of abuse of dominance.
Capital Markets and Securities
- Assisted in the preliminary structuring and due diligence processes of an asset-backed securities issuance by a listed Kenyan company.
- Currently advising a leading Kenyan entertainment company in prospective listing on the Nairobi Securities Exchanges GEMS segment.
- Assisted in the structuring and obtaining of regulatory approvals from the Capital Markets Authority regarding the issuance of a convertible loan note by a company listed on the Nairobi Securities Exchange.
Legal and Regulatory Compliance
- Advising a listed Kenyan company in pre- and post-election legal and commercial risk mitigation measures in relation to Kenya’s 2017 General Elections.
- Formulating the draft Hawkers and Street Vendors (Protection of Livelihood and Regulation of Street Vending) Bill, 2018 to formalise the regulation of hawkers and street vending activities across Kenya.
- Assisting in the preparation of amendments to the Sacco Societies Act and the Cooperative Societies Act to facilitate the creation of a hybrid investment-friendly Sacco society.
- Advising clients and submitting memoranda to the National Assembly in relation to various legislative proposals including but not limited to the Copyright (Amendment) Bill, 2017, the Energy Bill, 2017 and the Petroleum (Exploration, Development and Production) Bill, 2017.
- Advising a client regarding the harmonization of royalty distribution arrangements and copyright proprietorship arising from various musical works.
Countries of Work Experience
- Certified Secretary (CS), Institute of Certified Secretaries.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Law, Kenya School of Law.
- WIPO Summer School in Intellectual Property and Technology Transfer, 2016
- Masters in Mercantile Law, LL.M, (Distinction), University of Pretoria
- Bachelor of Laws LL.B, Kenyatta University, Kenya.