Miriam is an associate in the Commercial and Property Department with immense proficiency in banking and property transactions. She is intensely involved in banking and finance, project finance, project structuring, real estate structuring, conveyancing and company secretarial services.
Areas of Specialisation
- Banking and Finance
- Project finance
- Project structuring
- Property law
- Company secretarial services
- Legislative and regulatory advisory services.
- Legal Research and Advisory
Banking and Finance
- Drafting and perfecting various securities for a number of financing institutions in Kenya including Barclays Bank of Kenya Limited, Bank of Baroda (Kenya) Limited, Commercial Bank of Africa Limited, Co-operative Bank of Kenya Limited, Credit Bank Plc, Equity Bank (Kenya) Limited, HFC Limited, Gulf African Bank Limited, KCB Bank Kenya Limited, NIC Bank Plc, and Family Bank.
- Advised Barclays Bank of Kenya Limited in a revolving credit facility to be issued to a top-performing private school in Kenya and the first school to be ranked in Top 100 Mid-Sized Companies in Kenya. The facility was utilized to finance business operations, specifically to finance the acquisition of the school.
- Advised Barclays Bank of Kenya Limited in a multi-option facility issued to one of the leading paper manufacturing companies in Kenya, for trade finance, specifically the purchase of raw materials for paper manufacture; financing cash flow timings differences; and refinancing matured letters of credit.
- Advised Barclays Bank of Kenya Limited on the issuance of credit facilities to one of the leading poultry operators in Kenya, for trade finance, specifically for the issuance of bonds, guarantees and indemnities in the normal course of trading; as well as an overdraft facility and a revolving short term loans facility, for working capital requirements.
- Advised Equity Bank (Kenya) Limited in the financing of a company for the importation, installation and commissioning of physical unclonable function (PUF) panels, racks, ammonia refrigeration systems, doors and accessories for a coldstore in Nairobi, Kenya from India; maturing Letters of Credit; and transport cost (ex-works to site in Nairobi), insurance cost, import duty cost, forklift and internal warehouse transport and other importation costs.
- Part of the team collaborating with Barclays Bank of Kenya Limited in the provision of legal services to undertake loan takeovers from other banks at an unprecedented low rate of 11.5% which is two (2) points lower than other commercial banks in the country. The loans are exclusively takeovers of existing secured facilities from other banks.
- Advised Equity Bank (Kenya) Limited on a credit facility advanced to a private University in Kenya for the construction of student hostels and tuition block at its main campus.
- Part of the team assisting a powerhouse hospital with recognition throughout East Africa and beyond to structure a home loan mortgage scheme for approximately 600 of its staff, to be advanced through Barclays Bank of Kenya Limited.
- Undertook a comprehensive securities review for one of the largest bank in Kenya.
Company Secretarial Services
- Advising Creditinfo CRB Kenya Limited in the drafting of its Corporate Governance Framework and the Terms of Reference for the Executive Committee of the Board in accordance with Creditinfo’s constitutive documents; the Companies Act, 2015; the Banking Act, Cap 488 of the Laws of Kenya; Credit Reference Bureau Regulations, 2013; and the Code of Corporate Governance Practices for Issuers of Securities to the Public, 2015.
- Restructuring of Feast Foods Processors Limited which involved an increase in share capital, share allotment, share transfers and effecting resignation and appointment of directors pursuant to investment by a local private equity investor.
- Provision of company secretarial services to a number of companies to ensure adherence to the applicable corporate, statutory and regulatory obligations.
- Advising Kinoo Roadside limited, a real estate development company, on all aspects of legal structure for residential development on a parcel of land measuring approximately 0.477 hectares.
Countries of Work Experience
- Post Graduate Diploma in Law, Kenya School of Law
- Bachelor of Laws (LL.B), The University of Nairobi, Kenya.