Anne specialises in intellectual property law and specifically in protection and enforcement of trademarks, patents, copyright and industrial designs; commercial aspects of IP such as IP licensing, due diligence, legal advisory on IP rights and IP litigation.
She is experienced in protection of the various IP rights in East and Central Africa as well as both regional and international registration systems such as the Madrid, ARIPO and OAPI.
She has represented clients in IP matters from various sectors including manufacturing, retail, food & beverage, pharmaceuticals, telecommunications and media.
Areas of Specialization
- Intellectual Property Law
Email: [email protected]
- Acting for Safaricom in registration and renewal of numerous trademarks in Kenya including but not limited to ‘”SAFARICOM FLEX” “BE YOUR OWN BOSS”, “G-ONEE”, “FUNZIKA” “TAPLAY” “SAFARICOM GENERATION” “M-PESA 1 TAP” “SAFARICOM HOME” , “#TWAWEZA”, BONGA BY SAFARICOM” among others.
- Advised Kenafric Industries Limited, one of the largest manufacturers of footwear, stationery products, confectionery and food in Kenya, on protection and registration of its trademarks under ARIPO and assisting in registration of over thirty of its trademarks under the ARIPO including “Chewy”, “Oyo”, “Lollipop”, “Squeezy”, “Ki Lotto”, “Ki Special Veve”, “Ki Milk Munch”, “Ki Creamy Yoghurt”, “Ki Fruit Drops”, “Ki Orange Drops”, “Sparky” “Atomic”, “Faba”, “Pago Pago” and “Ki fresh”.
- Acting for Solpia Kenya Limited, a well-established hair manufacturing company in Kenya, in protection, registration and enforcement of numerous trademarks in East and Central Africa including but not limited to “SOLPIA”, “CROCHET BRAID”, “IT’S A BRAID” “BRAZILLIAN HAIR”, “ASANTE BRAID”, “SHAGGY CUT”, “OUTRE”, “LOOSE CURL” and “VOGUE CURL”
- Advised Tanga Cement Limited, a cement manufacturing company in Tanzania, on its branding strategy and assisting in registration of its trademarks “MKOMBOZI” and “TOFALI CHUMA” in Kenya.
- Acting for P. Bhavanbhai Family Trust of Johannesburg, South Africa, the proprietor of trade mark NIKKI, in opposition proceedings against registration of a similar mark NICKI by Style Industries Limited.
- Acting for Toto Limited, the proprietor of the world-famous and internationally recognized trademark “VOLT” which it uses in its popular energy drink products available in a number of countries worldwide, in opposition proceedings against registration of a similar mark VOLT by International Distillers Uganda Limited. Toto Limited is a Maltese company and a beverage producer in South America, Africa and Asia.
- Acting for Safaricom in opposition proceedings challenging registration of the trade mark “SKIZA ADTONES” by Safaricom. This mark identifies one of the products offered by Safaricom through the SKIZA Platform which allows for the download of digital content.
- Acting for Solpia Kenya limited in enforcement of its trademark “CROCHET BRAID” through objection of opposition proceedings brought by Style Industries Limited against registration of its mark in Kenya.
- Advised Chime Inc., a company based in New York, United States on registration and protection of its brand in various countries in the world through the Madrid, ARIPO, EUIPO and OAPI regimes.
- Advised Wayne Bells Group of Companies on international registration and protection of its brand in various countries in Africa through the Madrid system.
- Advising Safaricom in formulation , enactment and implementation of effective music digitisation scheme for musical works by various artistes in conformity with the Copyright laws. The digital platforms implemented during these assignment was the Songa by Safaricom App( H Songa) , a music streaming application meant to create an alternative revenue stream for artistes and increase their earnings, and Big Box.
- Acted for Safaricom in digitisation of Tamasha’s music content, procuring a license to enable Tamasha (a music production company in Kenya ) operate as a Content Service Provider ; and commercialisation of its music content through digital platforms operated by Safaricom.
- Advised Safaricom on distribution of royalties generated in operation of a digital content platform, known as SKIZA, through which users download musical content.
- Acted for Safaricom in protection and registration of its copy right work such as “BLAZE BY SAFARICOM” “MY KENYA” and “BE YOUR OWN BOSS” a reality TV show
- Acted for Tatu City Limited, a leading real estate developer in Africa in registration of trade marks TATU CITY”, “TATU CONNECT” and “’OAKLANDS RUIRU” in Kenya.
- Acted for The Legal Group, Dubai, UAE in registration and assignment of various trademarks such as “Cool & Cool ” “Jennifers” and “Araldite” in Kenya.
- Advised the Meru County Investment & Development Corporation on protection and registration of its logos in Kenya. Acted for the Company in registration of its logos in Kenya.
- Advised Parallel Media Limited, a medium level television and digital production company, on its branding strategy as well as protection of its trademarks in Kenya. Acted for the company in registration of trademarks for its television platforms.
- Advised Neotech Kenya Limited, a software company that provides lead generation to pharmaceutical and health related products to retailers, on protection of its software applications and assisted in registration of its logos in Kenya.
- Acted for Crystal Lagoons (Curacao) B.V, an international company with about 16 offices around the world and a leader in innovation and technology, in renewal of its patents in Rwanda.
- Acted for Iceutica Pty Limited in renewal of its patents in Rwanda which provide clinical benefits for patients with respiratory diseases.
- Acted for Sanofi Aventis, a global life science company that transforms scientific innovation into healthcare solutions in human vaccines, in renewal of its patent in Rwanda which is used in the treatment and prevention of malaria.
- Acted on behalf of Schwarz Pharma AG and SABMiller Investments II B.V. in renewal of their patents in Rwanda and Burundi respectively.
- Advising Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Limited, a pharmaceutical company based in India, in protection and maintenance of its patents in Kenya.
- Acting for Dafra Pharma Gmbh, a pharmaceutical company based in Belgium, in registration of its trade marks “DAFRACLAV”,”DATRAMOL”, “AMLOVIE”, “CETAFOR”, “SEKROL”, “PEDIFEN”, “CHOLESTROM”, and “CIPRONAT” in Kenya.
- Acting for Marico Limited, an Indian consumer goods company providing consumer products and services in the areas of Health and Beauty based in Mumbai, in registration of its trade marks “MEDIKER” and “SAFFOLA” in Kenya
- Acted for ISHIHARA SANGYO KAISHA, LTD, a Japan-based chemical company principally involved in the manufacture and sale of industrial chemical products, in registration of its trademarks “HAYATE”, “MUTEKI” and “CYCLAPRYN”
- Acting for Sparex Auto Parts L.L.C, a UAE company involved in manufacture and distribution of tractor parts, accessories and machinery, in registration of its trade marks “SPAREX” and “PLUTO” in Kenya.
- Acting for Centum Foundation PLC in registration of its trade marks “CENTUM FOUNDATION” and “RIVER BANK AT TWO RIVERS” in Kenya.
- Acting for Eaagads Limited in registration of its trade mark “EAAGADS LTD” in Kenya.
- Advised Just Plastics Limited, a manufacturing company in Kenya specialised in production of plastic products on protection and registration of Industrial Designs in Kenya, Assignment and licensing of the IP rights from their mother company. Just Plastics Limited situated in the UK and who have registered their industrial designs under ARIPO and OAPI.
Countries of Work Experience
- East Africa
- ARIPO member states
- OAPI member states.
- Copyright, Harvard Law School
- Post Graduate Diploma in Law, Kenya School of Law, Nairobi
- University of Nairobi, Bachelor of Laws LL.B. (Hons)